Our tax preparation program provides our community with free assistance filing their returns while ensuring they maximize their credits and refunds. Last year we filed 3,150 returns and accessed $5.9 million in refunds for our clients.
What We Do:
- IRS Free File access- Prepare and file your own federal and New York State tax returns online with expert support from NMIC staff by your choice of phone, email, or video chat.
- Drop Off VITA Services- Make an in-person appointment at our Washington Heights office with an IRS-certified tax preparer who will collect and review your tax documents. We will prepare your return and schedule a second appointment to for you to review and sign your tax return before it is filed.
- Virtual VITA- Make an appointment with an IRS-certified tax preparer to connect with you using video chat and other online tools. We will prepare your return for you.
- Both services are also available if you were not required and did not file taxes in 2019 or 2018 because your income was too low, but now need to file to register for Economic Impact Payments (federal COVID-19 relief payments of up to $1,200 per adult and $500 per child authorized by the CARES Act).
Who We Do it For:
You may be eligible if you live in New York City and in 2020 your household earned:
- $36,000 or less for IRS Free File through TurboTax online.
- $14,000 to $69,000 for IRS Free File through Online Taxes.
- $48,000 for individuals and $68,000 for families with dependents or less for a virtual VITA appointment for a certified preparer to prepare your return for you.
How to Sign Up:
How much time do I have left to pay my 2020 taxes?