The Housing Development program helps tenants buy and repair their buildings so tenants become homeowners. We have developed 522 apartments in 24 buildings.
What We Do:
- Help tenants get financing to buy their buildings.
- Hire contractors and supervise building rehabilitation (repairs).
- Convert rental buildings to cooperative ownership, so tenants become homeowners.
- Educate new owners about how to run their buildings and help them create a cooperative board of directors.
- Offer future help to owners to make informed ongoing decisions about their buildings.
Who We Do it For:
- Tenants in buildings we serve through our Tenant Organizing program.
- Tenants in buildings the City decides should become tenant owned.
How to Sign Up:
- We do not sign up individuals. You must live in a building we are working with.
- If you are interested in tenant organizing support, please visit our Tenant Organizing page.
Call us at 212-822-8300 x360.