NMIC’s benefits team screens community members for eligibility for over 40 public benefits and assists with the application process. Staff secures $11.5 million each year in cash benefits.
What We Do:
Based on your eligibility and need, services can include:
- Eligibility screening for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), medical insurance, Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE), Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE), unemployment insurance benefits, Lifeline, Safelink, and others.
- Digital submission of SNAP application information through POS (Paperless Office System) to reduce required trips to the SNAP center.
- Follow-up advocacy and case-management to ensure benefits are accessed and that clients receive the correct amount.
Who We Do it For:
- New Yorkers living in all 5 boroughs for benefit screening. Applications will depend on eligibility for individual benefits.
How to Sign Up:
To be screened for benefits, call our Benefits Hotline.
When you contact us, please have this information ready:
- Government identification if you have it (e.g., a state ID or passport).
- Proof of income (e.g., pay stubs, SSI/SSD award letter, HRA letter).